August means eating fresh tomatoes and cooler nights. It also means that the first half of the summer is over. I have not even eaten one lobster yet. How did that happen?
Colby and Sawyer are both sick, one has mono and one has pink eye. I can not help but think that them both being sick may partly because we try to do too much. It is a reminder that you do not having anything if you do not have good health, so hopefully our journey to living more simply will also make us healthier.
Here are some simple ways I thought of to improve our family’s health:
- Move more – even doing chores, gardening and dancing around our kitchen can make a difference
- On week nights instead of sitting down to watch a movie or to read a book, we could all go outside to play a game of tag or to go for a walk. Even one night a week would help.
- Instead of sitting or standing still, move around or clean while I am on the phone
- Take the stairs instead of the elevators
- Do not sit too long at my desk without getting up to stretch
- Take more walks at lunch – I used to be much better at doing this, but have been terrible lately
- Park as far away from the door as I can at work to have to get more exercise like my friend Kristen
- Eat more fruit – add it to our cereal or salads
- Eat more vegetables – add a slice of those yummy fresh tomatoes to our sandwiches
- Eat more fresh foods instead of processed, more whole grains, and more fish
- Do not drink soda and do not even keep it in the house
- Drink lots of water
- Drink more tea instead of coffee
- Make sure we all get enough sleep and take naps when we can
- Take our vitamins
Do you have any more suggestions?