On my father’s side my grandparents are from Scandinavia. My grandfather was from Sweden and my grandmother was from Norway. I decided to look at my roots to see what sort of connection to simple living there might be.
- Government policies promote health, well-being and a balance between work and home life
- Healthcare is federally funded and managed by local councils
- Parents of young children receive hundreds of days of paid leave to care for and spend time with their kids
- Parents also receive government allowances to offset the added costs of housing, food and clothing for children
- Climate is conducive to outdoor activity
- Beautiful landscapes of lakes, mountains and forests
- Culture of physical fitness – government provides financial subsidies to sports associations
All of these factors combine to make Sweden one of the healthiest, most livable countries on Earth.